Kolkata, March 26, 2020:
Coronavirus cases in Bengal has increased to 10 after a 66-year-old man in Nayabad, Kolkata, has tested positive for COVID-19 infection.
Support Independent Media
Support us in our efforts to bring authentic, extensive and thorough news coverage from Northeast India. Do support independent media as good journalism can only survive when a media organization is both editorially and financially independent.
Pay for quality news
The patient was admitted to the Peerless Hospital in Kolkata, later tested positive for the virus strands. His swab test report from the the National Institute of Cholera and Enteric Diseases (NICED) in Beliaghata. He had been admitted at a private hospital since March 23. Although the man had no history of travelling abroad, the man had visited Bilaspur in Chhatisgarh in February last.
Meanwhile, the Mamata Banerjee led Trinamool Congress has asked the Centre for a Rs 1,500 crore package to cope with the coronavirus.
It is pertinent to mention here that authorities confirmed that a 55-year-old patient who was confirmed to be coronavirus positive died on Monday. The man was also said to be suffering from heart ailments.
In India, the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has confirmed that the number of cases has risen to 649 (602 of those are from India and the rest are foreign nationals visiting the country). 42 of those afflicted have been cured or discharged. The death too continues to rise, with 13 people killed so far. The latest death in India has been reported from Srinagar in Jammu and Kashmir.
Meanwhile, in another setback to the working class population of the country, Apple’s manufacturing partners Foxconn and Wistron have temporarily closed their production facilities in the country keeping the safety of the workers and comply with the government’s decision at their manufacturing plants.
In a sensational incident, a mohalla clinic doctor in New Delhi and 4 others have been tested positive after they came in contact with an infected woman who returned from Saudi Arabia. The doctor’s wife and daughter have also tested positive. Meanwhile, 800 people who came in contact with the doctor, have been quarantined. However, Delhi CM Kejriwal has said that the clinics will remain open.
Support Inside Northeast (InsideNE), an independent media platform that focuses on Citizen-centric stories from Northeast India that are surprising, inspiring, cinematic and emotionally relevant.