Lakhimpur, November 9, 2019:
As many as 23 students of the Sinatalia Bagan LP School in Lakhimpur district of Assam were taken ill in a suspected case of food-poisoning after consuming khichdi during a mid-day meal on Saturday.
Support Independent Media
Support us in our efforts to bring authentic, extensive and thorough news coverage from Northeast India. Do support independent media as good journalism can only survive when a media organization is both editorially and financially independent.
Pay for quality news
The meal had been served by an NGO which had been offered a contract by the Assam Government to serve mid-day meals to children.
All the students were taken to a nearby hospital. 5 of the children were hospitalized, while the others were later released.
It may be mentioned here that this is not an isolated incident of mid-day meals in Assam making children sick.
Yesterday, as many as 67 school kids in Assam’s Tinsukia district have fallen sick after consuming food cooked by the NGO Ghanshyam Sewa Samiti, that was ‘blacklisted’ by the New Delhi Government for delivering food containing worms.
As many as six schoolchildren fell sick at the Baruwahulla Higher Secondary School after consuming food supplied by the controversy-ridden NGO. All six students were shifted to the Tinsukia Civil Hospital, as a consequence.
In the evening, three ambulances were needed to shift the sick students to the hospital. By evening, over 40 students were shifted to the hospital. According to latest reports, as many as 67 students had to be shifted to the hospital after consuming the food.
Support Inside Northeast (InsideNE), an independent media platform that focuses on Citizen-centric stories from Northeast India that are surprising, inspiring, cinematic and emotionally relevant.