Surat, May 24, 2019:
At least nineteen were killed after a fire broke out in Sarthana area of Surat city in Gujarat. The coaching centre was situated on the third and fourth floors of a building complex. Video footage from the incident has also surfaced on social media which shows students jumping down from the burning building through windows.
Support Independent Media
Support us in our efforts to bring authentic, extensive and thorough news coverage from Northeast India. Do support independent media as good journalism can only survive when a media organization is both editorially and financially independent.
Pay for quality news
Police sources have confirmed that nineteen people have died in the fire and the toll may rise even further.
— Mayursinh (@apkajaddu) May 24, 2019
Horrifying footage has been released by some local journalists video which shows students jumping out of the second floor windows out of fear.
Meanwhile, sources have revealed that the top floor of the building has been evacuated and nobody is trapped in the fire any longer. Officials have also confirmed that the fire fighting operations are still on. 18 fire tenders are on the spot.
Official sources have revealed that a short-circuit is the probable cause of the fire.
Massive fire in a building in Surat. Around 10 people jumped off breaking windowpanes. pic.twitter.com/fcApZbhRSx
— Mahesh Langa (@LangaMahesh) May 24, 2019
Meanwhile, Indian Prime Minister has expressed his condolences to the deceased children.
A tweet from the Prime Minister’s official Twitter handle read: “”Extremely anguished by the fire tragedy in Surat. My thoughts are with bereaved families. May the injured recover quickly. Have asked the Gujarat Government and local authorities to provide all possible assistance to those affected.”
Home Minister Rajnath Singh also reacted to the horrifying incident of Twitter.
Meanwhile, some heroic locals tried to help the people trapped in the building. Some of the footage has gone viral.
Massive Fire at ine commercial Complex , Named तक्षशिला
in surat's #sarthana Area .
Many Students were stuck.
A Brave man tried to rescue the Girls.
Pray &Hope for No big Injuries. #Surat #suratFire pic.twitter.com/h9XBWWVeui
— Hitesh Pandya (@Hiteshpandya21) May 24, 2019
Keep following Inside Northeast on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram. Do download our app from the Google Playstore for the latest news updates, views, and entertainment on the go. We deliver the Northeast.