Amid the ongoing Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, 2016 issue, top leaders from the BJP led Assam government met Home Minister Rajnath Singh in Delhi at 4.30 PM to discuss on the Constitution (Scheduled Tribes) Amendment Bill, 2019.
The meeting was attended by Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal, Chief of Bodoland Territorial Council (BTC) to discuss on the process of ongoing decision of the government to provide special status to six communities of Assam.
Ministers Himanta Biswa Sarma, Chandan Brahma, Kamakhya Prasad Tasa and MP Biswajit Daimary were also present in the meeting.
The meeting concluded fruitfully with the following decisions:
* A committee comprising group of ministers will be formed in Assam within two/three days
* The committee will decide and recommend the necessary arrangement for the protection of existing Tribal’s rights and the facilities of new ST.
* There will be three categories of ST in Assam
* Quotas will be separated category wise.
* Present ST’s reservation/quota will be kept as it is.
The final decision that the Home Minister agreed to was to accept and act accordingly to whatever recommendations and opinions put forward by the State government.